How Does Community Participation Work?
Community development starts with community participation. Niagara Falls Community Development, through its Citizen Participation Process, develops an annual Action Plan that lists and prioritizes local housing and non-housing community development needs. This yearly Action Plan is guided by our 5 Year Strategic Plan that details are measurable goals for community development that have been submitted to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The 5 Year Strategic PLan identifies eight areas that guide our yearly action plans:
- Street, Sidewalk, & Green Space Improvements
- Crime Prevention Services
- Youth Programs & Facilities
- Workforce Development
- Housing Rehabilitation
- Targeted Blight Clearance
- Public Facility Improvements
- Storefront/Local Business Investment
Each year, we host public meetings and take individual comments to gather community input into writing our yearly action plan. We use your input to direct the programs and projects that we will fund for the year. The draft action plan is then presented to the public and made available for public comment. Again, we take your input and rework the action plan to fit the community's need. The action plan is then submitted to City Council for a vote and then to HUD for final approval and disbursement of funds.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com. For further details on our action and strategic plans, see the documents provided below:
2017 DRAFT Action Plan
The first draft of the 2017 Action Plan has been completed and we need your input! View the 2017 Draft Action Plan and Citizen Guide to the 2017 Action Plan below:
2017 DRAFT Action Plan
Citizen Guide to the 2017 Action Plan
To provide your input, ideas, and comments, please participate in the following ways:
1. Attend the public hearing on Thursday, February 2, 6pm-7pm at City Hall Council Chambers (745 Main Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301)
2. Attend Pizza with the Plan on Tuesday, February 7, 6pm-7:30pm at Niagara Falls Community Development (1022 Main Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301)
3. Email us at 2017ActionPlan@niagarafallsny.gov
4. Mail us a written comment to Niagara Falls Community Development, PO Box 69, Niagara Falls, NY 14302
5. Hand deliver us a written comment to Niagara Falls Community Development, 1022 Main Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301
The first round of public comments must be received no later than March 6, 2017. From there we will make edits to reflect your comments and move on to round two of the public participation process. More details on round two to be announced soon.
2016 Action Plan
This action plan is our guiding document for the 2016 program year that is set to end on June 30, 2017. Read the 2016 Action Plan HERE.
2015 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER)
See what we accomplished through our 2015 Action Plan. Read the 2015 CAPER HERE.
2015 Action Plan
This action plan is our guiding document for the 2015 program year. Read the 2015 Action Plan HERE.
2015-2019 Consolidated Plan and Strategy
This is the overarching 5-year plan that will guide each of our yearly action plans. Read the 2015-2019 Consolidated Plan and Strategy HERE.